Monday, February 8, 2010

Field Trip Postponed . . . What a Drag

Yesterday afternoon, I received this note in my inbox from Baylor. Pretty self-explanatory.

"Speaking on behalf of the BGS, we have decided to postpone the upcoming Saturday field trip. The rescheduled field trip date has not been determined.

The current weather and forecast conditions for Temple and Waco TX are not conducive to driving on dirt two-tracks (we got the van stuck on our field trip dry-run) and the current state of Williams Creek (currently 6-8 ft above channel bottom) will not permit viewing of the soil-sediment trenches. Given these conditions, two of our stops (Owl Creek and Williams Creek) would be difficult to access. If we were to visit these sites in their current state, the field trip WOULD NOT reflect the considerable amount of effort and hard work that has gone into the field trip guide.... If it's worth doing, it's worth doing right!

On the bright side, the BGS research symposium and spaghetti supper will run as scheduled! Also, we plan to post the field trip guide in PDF format on our website and we would be happy to discuss the research with all of you.

We apologize for any inconvenience this may cause you. If you are still planning to visit the Waco area early Saturday, I encourage you to visit the Waco Mammoth site and check out the Mayborn Museum. Otherwise, I will keep you posted on potential field trip dates for the future.

-Head CLOD

Gary Stinchcomb
Baylor University
Department of Geology"

But, on the other hand, go Saints!

No comments: