Dear GEO Advisory Board, Geofaculty, Staff and Colleagues:
As you have already heard from Head Clod Gary Stinchcomb, students from the BGS did a dry run of the Field Trip and determined that 2 of the 4 planned stops will not be accessible due to excessive rain (and more rain, sleet and snow are forecast this week), and so the BGS field trip is postponed, with a possible rescheduling in the fall of this year. In spite of this setback we are proceeding with other planned activities, including the BGS Student Symposium from 2:00-4:00 PM Friday, February 12th and the Spaghetti Supper from 6:00-8:00 PM on Saturday, February 13th at the Faculty Center. PLEASE TRY TO SUPPORT THE BGS BY ATTENDING THESE EVENTS!
Geology Advisory Board Meeting Agenda – Friday, February 12, 2010
Time: 6:00-8:00 PM (Reservations required: Atchley cell: 254-644-9741)
NOTE NEW LOCATION: Gratziano’s Restaurant, 217 Mary Street, Waco, TX (254-752-8789) WE HAVE A BACK ROOM RESERVED THAT WILL ACCOMMODATE UP TO 20 PEOPLE (no alcohol please on Baylor University tab!; attendees should all contribute to defray cost of this meal)
Board Introductions and Presiding Officer: Robert Springer, Board Chair
1) Dr. Stacy Atchley, Associate Chair: Brief update on Department happenings. (Mention Faculty searches, new faculty and staff hires, new labs constructed and under construction, completion of Carlile Sculpture garden).
2) Golf Tournament: Keep going or redirect efforts elsewhere?
3) Geology Resource Endowment Fund: Possible recommended Board fund-raising actions?
4) Baylor Alumni Event at AAPG Meeting in New Orleans: Need for additional $800 to $1000 for sponsorship of food and cash bar
5) GEO Advisory Board Mentoring program: Status: BGS has several Board mentors visiting this spring?
6) Filling 2 Advisory Board Officer Positions: Vice-Chair, Secretary?
7) Eric Abercrombie: Status of Geology Department’s Endowments networking contacts to have postive impact on Baylor Geology programs. (mention role of BU development office in helping Department achieve its goals, your desire to meet with alumni such as ExxonMobil, other companies, seeking 4-6 contacts from each Board member)
Confirmed attending dinner: Dr. Stacy Atchley, Eric Abercrombie, Tom Moore, Jim Bain, Robert Springer, Ed Jakubowski, Josh Talbert, Dr. David Cleveland, Art Beall, Art and Sure Lynn Bishop (11 total)
Baylor Geological Society
2010 Alumni Weekend
Revised Master Itinerary (02-08-2010)
FRIDAY, February 12, 2010
2:00 PM - 4:00 PM - Baylor Geological Society Research Symposium
BSB- Room D.110
6:00 PM - 8:00 PM - Advisory Board Dinner with Geology Department Associate Chair Dr. Stacy Atchley (reservations required)
Gratziano’s Restaurant, 217 Mary Street - Waco, TX
SATURDAY, February 13, 2010
7:00 AM - 4:30 PM - Field trip to central Texas, TX. (CANCELLED DUE TO POOR WEATHER)
6:00 PM - 8:00 PM – Spaghetti Supper and Awards Banquet - University Faculty Center